Trumpeter 1/72 MiG-29SMT pt1

I started Trumpeter’s new 1/72 MiG-29SMT a few nights ago as an OOB for-fun build. So far it’s a great little kit. Pieces fall together. Since I’m doing an in flight pose I placed magnets inside the lower fuselage….though I might have to modify the tank to get a rod to fit. One interesting thing, one of the trailing tail parts apparently snapped off prior to packaging. Twas nowhere to be found. And I had a bench mate that wouldn’t leave me alone.

After 2 hours of work, the fit issues are practically non existent. The last 1/72 Fulcrum I built was the Airfix. NEVER AGAIN *shudder*. The pylon pins are a little too tall and had to be cut down by half. The intakes fit like a glove, maybe a little shaving could be done on the rear end join. The radome needs a little side squeezing to get the proper height and width alignment but that might just be my kit.

Besides those points, I’d give it a 9/10 so far. A couple minor fit issues but accuracy seems good and it’s a breeze OOB. The ONLY exception is the gear bay doors. Lots of shaving to get to fit in the closed position….I’m going to try my best to not use putty but that looks like a loosing battle.

The armament is a bit odd, too. My boxing only included 1 Kh-31 Krypton so I the inboard pylons are mis-matched and will sport an Alamo and a Krypton.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s