Next step in getting the office ready to close up is getting the pilot to fit properly. While the detail is really nice on the PJ pilot I had to shave a bunch of it down to get him to fit. Turns out the left arm is sculpted to hang over the edge with an open canopy! Luckily there was a spare arm in the parts bin. I also did a little more research into “Red 3” and found this page: http://asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190D/Fw-190D-JV44-Red-3-Wubke.html. A nice little bit of history to think about during the build. Anyway, the pilot sits nicely now.
While the pilot is in the process of being painted I figured this was good time to start with the canopy. I recently picked up some Tamiya polishing compound and really wanted a chance to use it. However, instead of going through the 3-step process of course, fine and finish, I went straight for the finishing compound mix because there were no scratches on the canopy parts to begin with (and they were pretty crystal clear…). A little buff and polish doesn’t hurt. I didn’t future coat it yet either…instead I’ll wait until after the flat coat. I think I will have to future the inside though so the super glue doesn’t fog it up.
And 2 other big steps: putting a little more putty in the seams…which weren’t terrible but I wanted to make them better and adding the brass barrels and pitot. They really make a difference with the final look. I did mount the barrels a little further out than they’re meant to be but it’s because I want to show them off just a little bit.