1/48 Italeri Spitfire Mk IXe: my first Spit!

The Spitfire has been on my mind for a while now so I figured I’d take a stab at the Italeri kit. This one in particular is the American Aces kit and has a really really nice decal set. It was a good deal, too! ($12 for a Spitfire). However, I DO have the Tamiya and new Eduard kits in the stash. Again, since this is my first foray into the world of Merlins, I’ll start with a less-invested kit.

My initial plan was to modify it to create the famous Spitfire 944 (see video below) and had acquired some good dry transfer stencils, invasion stripes AND the photo recon upgrade set from Quickboost. As soon as I opened up the kit and started fitting parts I thought why waste good aftermarket on not-so-hot-kit? So I’ll do this one out of box. 😛

As you can see from these initial build pics there is some flash to contend with. There’s also some fitting issues with the standard wingtips. There will definitely be some Mr. Surfacer filling happening. You may also noticed I began the riveting process, too. This is a “take a break from threading fiber optics” build…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s